Wednesday 21 August 2019

My Three Favorite Storybooks

Below are three of my favorite storybooks that I found at http://estorybook.blogspot.com/2010/12/past-storybooks.html

Gothic Novels
Dark Forest
Source: Google Images

1) Hades' Iliad
https://sites.google.com/view/hadesiliad/home

It seems as though I've personally always had an obsession with Hades and the stories that surround the underworld. This is one of the main reasons that I was drawn to this storybook in the first place. However, I think as an overall theme in my life, at the least when it comes to literature, I am drawn to the dark and macabre, things that are viewed out of the norm. The overall story of Hades and Persephone is a classic one that most individuals know. With this storybook, however, it focuses on the story of the War of Troy but from a different perspective than that which has been told in the past. From the perspective of Hades himself this storybook is one that I find very interesting. The introduction to this storybook does a decent job in reeling the audience in to actually continue reading the provided chapters. I appreciate the short bit of background that is also provided in the introduction and the fresh perspective from Persephone's point of view and then of course the switch over to Hades' perspective of the dinner party and the War of Troy. It's refreshing. I also would like to briefly comment on the images on the introductory page. It's nice to be able to add a place as to where this dinner party and story telling is taking place and the imagery provided definitely helps the imagination and overall context. Of course the underworld and the general idea of Hell itself has many different images and connotations depending on the individual and culture, the posted images are something that I find interesting and they add some flair to a decently written storybook. Overall I like the layout of this storybook and especially how it is broken down into chapters in the top right corner of the web page. It makes it easy for the user to skip around and view the storybook.

2) Hell On Earth
https://sites.google.com/view/hell-on-earth/introduction

The Inferno According to Dante, Source: Google Images https://images.app.goo.gl/e3WVrC2e354TTKCUA

So this storybook is a little different from the first one that caught my eye. The introduction is very thought provoking when it comes to the concept of Hell, but then again so is Dante's Inferno. Either way the creator of this storybook provides food for thought when it comes to Hell. The idea that Hell is a physical place where individuals are punished seems to be one of the main understandings, at least throughout the Western world. Of course, Christianity provides a huge role in the concept of Hell as well that many, if not all of the Western world is extremely familiar with. Dante's Inferno is a piece that I ended up reading my senior year of High School and I became obsessed with the levels of punishment and this overall idea and view of Hell. The creator of this storybook brings up a good point, how can Hell be a physical place? Instead the creator suggests that it is a state of mind in which individuals put themselves in and can pull themselves out of. This is a very refreshing perspective to read about. Growing up in a strict Christian family Hell is something that is a place that ones soul goes to due to sins committed while living. However, the older I get the more and more I relate with this concept of Hell being a mindset as well. Personally, I am an over-thinker, I create problems for myself before they even exist and so to view Hell as a mindset hits just a bit close to home. When I first read Dante's Inferno in High School I was intrigued by the concept of there being multiple levels to Hell. This storybook does a good job in piquing my interest enough to merit continuing through what is written and provided on this topic throughout the project. Overall I think this is a good storybook and I will probably read it a second time because it is enjoyable and provides decent background information for the audience. It is formatted a bit differently than the first storybook that I found, however it is not inconvenient to navigate through and does provide images to aid the imagination.

3) The Goddess Isis
https://sites.google.com/view/isisstorybook/introduction

The Goddess Isis c. 130 A.D. 
Source: Google Images

This is a bit of a different storybook than the others that I stumbled across and that caught my attention from the main website provided. I found this interesting because I've always had a bit of interest in Egypt and Egyptian stories and the reasoning behind everything that created it. As an Anthropology major I find myself constantly over-analyzing cultures and the ways in which stories can connect the past with the present. This storybook on the Goddess Isis is very interesting and provides a change of pace from the macabre Hell discussions previously written. I like the introduction to this storybook because the creator uses this story as a way to introduce a strong, independent, woman. The creator provides decent enough introductory background information of ancient Egypt and the role that stories played in the society and culture of it all. Like the other storybooks, I like the layout, it is easy to navigate and there are plenty of images to help with the story-telling aspect of it all. The overall story seems to be about the lengths the Goddess Isis will go to save her family, the loyalty behind it all, and the overall strength and power of a woman. 

Well, with that third storybook I conclude my three favorite storybooks that I found thus far. Thanks for reading my thoughts! :) 

No comments:

Post a Comment