Wednesday 11 September 2019

Reading Notes: Ghosts of Erebus: Part B

Here are my reading notes for Ghosts of Erebus for Part B.

Homer's Odyssey: Ghosts of Erebus, http://mythfolklore.blogspot.com/2014/05/odyssey-ghosts-of-erebus.html



Ulysse (Google Images) 




So, this is a very intense part of the Odyssey, it seems. Filling their ships with sheep for sacrifice and sailing away to a different land.

I personally like this part because it's a ghost story, 'tis the season of spook! :)

The order and method that went into the actual luring of the ghosts is interesting to me. The dumping of libations and water and then sacrificing the sheep is strange. Some ghost stories just focus on the fact that the ghosts were actually summoned not the full process by which they were summoned.

Once the ghosts actually showed up was also interesting in this portion of the story as well. The ghosts were not just fallen warriors or aged individuals but they were girls who were young. I'm curious to know what happened to them.

I think the Odyssey overall is very interesting, I read it in high school and had to do a project on it. To be able to go back through portions of it is entertaining. If anything I think that this story shows a lot about the social and cultural aspects during the time of its origin. Food for thought, I suppose.


No comments:

Post a Comment