Tuesday 17 September 2019

Reading Notes Part A: Egypt: King of the Dead


Egypt: King of the Dead, Donald Mackenzie, http://mythfolklore.blogspot.com/2014/06/egypt-king-of-dead.html






Horus (Google Images)


Hello,

These are why notes for Week 5, part A on King of the Dead. Again I am taking notes as I read in case I need to record any sudden questions that arise while reading and any research that I had to do because of the reading as a whole.

Because this is just a part of the Ancient Egypt unit I have to try and orient myself as to where I am at in terms of time and the events that happened before. It is a bit confusing.

So Set is ruling over Egypt in this moment in time when Horus is supposed to be the rightful king. Although Horus isn't king he still has followers that are essential to him.

Horus has a dream of his father Osiris, which is an interesting piece of information. Set is Horus' uncle. In this dream Horus was urged to overthrow Set and get rid of Set's followers.

However impossible it seemed at the time Horus was able to overthrow Set and run him and his followers out towards the "eastern frontier"

Horus lost an eye!

So one thing that I've noticed in many of these stories is that there is always some kind of higher power depending on the religion and what not of the area in which the story originated. In this case it consists of gods and goddesses that choose judgement and whatnot of those dead and alive. The thing with Egypt in general is that there are many different symbols and uses of things in the culture and definitely in the stories. I think I should be able to use that to my advantage when writing my story for this week. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment